I’ve been debating this for a long time, but I’m going to be making some minor changes to Sufficiently Advanced Magic.
Up to this point, I’ve only really made corrections for typos and such. In this minor update, I’m making a couple minor changes for logic and consistency, rather than just grammar and spelling.
These are as follows:
- In the old version, it said that people are only expected to reach Quart-B (25 to 29 Mana) before the end of the year. This was always expected to come across as easy compared to Professor Orden’s goal for Corin (reach Carnelian in 3 months), but in retrospect, it was absurdly easy. I’ve changed this to Quartz-A (which is anywhere from 30 to 59 mana). This is just a few lines in the text, but I think it’s a much more realistic goal that doesn’t feel as meaningless.
- I fixed a continuity issue. In one of Corin’s classes, it initially identified Shapers as having Earth (Primary) and Transference (Secondary). Everywhere else, including the appendix and sequel, referred to Shapers as having Earth (Primary) and Enhancement (Secondary). I have updated the classroom scene to fix this continuity issue.
- I’ve changed a couple sentences to make it clearer that Corin studied basics about attunements earlier, but that he’s three years behind in his studies and out of practice. This came across as somewhat weird and inconsistent in the older version. I may still need to make more corrections to this as I find them.
- I’ve added a couple extra sentences to make this clearer, too. For example, when Corin asks Professor Orden about attunement levels, I added a line to indicate that he was just trying to check and see if she’d mention Sapphires. Logically (and from earlier in the story), he clearly already knows what attunement levels are. Similarly, I added a line after the first Magic Theory class emphasizing that he knows the very basics of how magic works, and that the first class was just reviewing things he hadn’t heard in years.
- Tenjin was depicted as male in most parts of the story, but female in one of the statues. This has not been changed, but the statue section has slightly clarified to indicate that Tenjin can be depicted in different ways. (All of the visages can be.)
I hope that this makes the story as a whole feel a little more coherent and consistent.
There are a few things I didn’t change, at least for now.
- I’ve considered extending the scene between Corin and Sera on the train to the university at the beginning and having them talk about life a little more (e.g. Corin’s mother, how long it’s been, etc.) This may end up being written as bonus content if I don’t add it to the book itself in the future.
- I’ve considered making broader changes to make it abundantly clear that Corin does know the basics of magic before going to the school and simply needs to review them.
- I have a longer rewrite for one of Corin’s scenes with Orden.
The reason I didn’t make some of these more significant changes is that I don’t want the Kindle/Paperback versions to deviate too far from the audio version (especially because of Whispersync). I may make more changes if I can book some time with the narrator to get the audio version properly updated.
I hope this helps give some insight into the process.
I also hope this small update doesn’t break Whispersync, because if it does, I may have to roll it back.